Thursday, February 12, 2009

The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act 2009, Part 1

So I have been reading this bill online. First off, let me say that maybe this was not the bill that I should have used to begin my study of politics. Secondly, let me say that I see a huge boom in paper production. Not only is the bill extremely long, but all of the paperwork that it will create should really give the logging and paper production industries a boost.

But seriously, do you work for the government, get paid through a government grant project, or receive a government subsidy? If not you will soon. This bill looks as if every government agency asked all of it's employees to make a wish list and then submitted it for inclusion in this bill.

How many of us put off making home repairs until we can afford them or can afford to take out a loan and make payments on them? I would think most of us. A good chunk of this bill is for repairs to infrastructure. I understand the desire to make government buildings "green". Who doesn't want to live in a healthier world? But can they afford it? I don't think so. If they could afford it they would have done it already. Or will we really save the envirnment and money by buying a whole new fleet of government vehicles? If we could, wouldn't we already have them? I believe they would. Trust me there are no government owned vehicles that are '96 Hyundai Accents that are rusted out like my family drives. We drive it by the way because we can afford it.

Oh and here is a novel idea. Go to the bank and ask for a loan to do some research on a potential business or home improvement you want to start or make. Ask that the loan agreement include a clause that if you decide not to go ahead with the business idea or home repair, that you don't have to pay back the loan. What you say? Who would allow that? Oh the US government. The Western Area Power Administration will be allowed to use their grant money to consider projects relevant to the purpose of the grant but if they are not pursued they do not have to pay back the balance owed on those projects. They also don't have to pay back the loan if the project reaches "the end of its useful life" and there are still monies owed.

It just isn't real life. We are throwing money away. Money that we don't have. We are paying for it. Are you willing to provide for all government buildings to be made "green" on your dime? Nope, I am not. I am providing something better for government workers than I am able to provide for myself. Do you want to loan out your money and not know whether or not you will be repaid in full? Nope, I am not. Giving away money for nothing is what a charity does not a democratic government.

Just a few things to think on as Congress prepares to pass this bill.

1 comment:

  1. One correction: We are paying for this bill, big time, but so are our children and very possibly our grandchildren.

    Nice.

    ReplyDelete